Saturday, December 18, 2010

He is my Water.

"O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So, I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will left up my hands. My soul will be satisfied..." Psalm 63:1-5

As I read these words, I am reminded that following the Lord is not a passive mission. This passage awakes within me a tenacity to know Him. This is not a timid request from King David. Earnestly he's asking the Father for the satisfaction of His presence.

He paints this picture to describe his desperation: Imagine the traveler in a desolate land, begging for a drink of water to quench his thirst. Without this, he will die. Water is necessary for survival. A man in search for water, dying of thirst, will not be apathetic... This is the behavior David is likening his search for the Lord to.

I find myself falling into this attitude of passivity. Do I really know that His love is better than life itself? I don't think so... But I want too. I want to pursue a relationship with the Father the same way I would search for water while dying of thirst. It is violent. It is messy. But I will know Him more and I will be satisfied in His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment