Monday, December 27, 2010

New Year's Revolutions

I've never been one to keep resolutions that I've made in the New Year. To be honest, they are usually broken within the first day. I can't even remember what they are by the end of the year. (Thinking back to this past January, I have no idea what I resolved to do in the year 2010).

I've decided that simply making a list isn't enough to bring about change in my attitude and lifestyle. It sounds like common sense when I say it that way, but hear me out. It is a common practice in our culture to sit down at the beginning of every year and write out things we want to change in our lives. I am no scientific researcher, but I would assume that most people don't actually hold true to these little lists.

What's the problem? We are not going after the heart issues. It is not enough to change habit. Eat less, exercise more, actually read the Bible consistently... These are all merely symptoms to deeper problems in our inner man. If we are not dealing with the heart of the matter, then we will never keep our silly little resolutions. They will always reappear as long as the problem remains in our hearts.

My goal this year is to ask the Lord not only to reveal to me the habits that need to be changed, but I want to take it step further. What changes need to be made on a deeper level? I don't want another year to go by where I've made another crappy list and there is no difference in my life. I want the Lord to bring real change to my heart. A New Year's Revolution I'm calling it...

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment